Sunday, November 23, 2008

Post Transplant

I am now over 1 year post transplant and doing wonderful! I am off all of my meds, and to be honest I feel "normal'... whatever that means. My experience with this transplant has been for a lack of a better word...easy. I've known of many people who have had a transplant, and to be honest there is no reason for me to have gotten through it so easy. But I will take it as a blessing. And I am grateful.
Z my son is now 2 1/2 and he is still such a joy. He has physical therapy, occupational therapy, as well as developmental therapy once a week. And has been getting it for well over a year now. He uses adaptive equipment like a walker, and foot orthotics. He is still far away from using the walker on his own. But it is something. We have been using early intervention since his birth and I am afraid because once he turns 3 he will be done with this program and these therapists. He will then start "school"... and although I know it shouldn't still bother me, ..it bothers me that he will be be going to a special needs school and be known as handicap. I know it's probably terrible of me. But it's my blog and I am allowed to be honest. I guess at home we treat him so normal it's hard to put that label on him. As much as I know that having a disability or being disabled is not something to be ashamed of I don't feel its that at all... maybe Im just a mom who has a hard time realizing and accepting how her son will be challenged throughout his whole life. Maybe it's not easy. But then I ask you...should it be?
Sorry for my year long absence, I hope to continue to write more. but I make no promises.

Hope you all enjoy the short work week. (for many anyway)

Lucky Girl

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope all is well. You haven't updated in a long time.

Blessed be.
C.